Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Flaky Cookies and Tea

Sometimes the easiest dishes taste the best. There's something pure and perfect about simple flavors. My mother made these cookies MAYBE twice, about ten years ago, and I still remembered them. There's almost nothing to them but they're flaky, sometimes chewy (with cooked jelly) and they're altogether lovely.


And I've got a serious soft spot for strawberry sweets and tea. Of course, you can use whatever jelly or jam you like best! Go crazy!

A word of advice: these won't rise at all. I recommend making them the thickness you'd like in a buttery cookie (1/2-inch is ideal to me) and make deep wells for the jelly. It likes to escape its cookie when it can!

And one more warning? They're super addictive. Good luck having just one...



CREAM CHEESE / JELLY COOKIES

3 ounces cream cheese (may use 1/3 less fat)
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened (*if using salted, omit salt)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
jam, jelly, or preserves, your favorite


Cream the cream cheese and butter together. Blend in flour and salt.

Roll out on a floured surface and cut into lines dividing lines 2 x 1 inch long. Press a trowel in center with end of spoon or finger/thumb. Place a dab of preserves or jam in the center of each cookie.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Jess :) said...

I can't WAIT to make these - I love reading your blog, but for some reason, can't subscribe. C'est la vie....
Anyway, I love your blog! And your photos! :D